Golden Retriever poisoned by antifreeze


Credit: Photograph of Thor sent in by Kate Lindsay

A BONNYBRIDGE family have been left devastated after their dog was poisoned by antifreeze.

Kate Lindsay has urged fellow pet owners to be watchful of their animals after her golden retriever Thor was taken sick and suffered kidney failure.

The mother of three took Thor to the vet when his early symptoms failed to improve, where they tested his blood and urine.

She said: “The urine came back full of crystals as is seen in cats with antifreeze poisoning and the bloods showed that his kidneys had shut down.

“He was put on treatment and given fluids but sadly there was nothing that could be done. He was put to sleep on Friday afternoon.”

Antifreeze poisoning in animals is a growing issue in the area with other locals affected.

A+G Vets of Bonnybridge said that, while it does happen to dogs, poisoning is more common among cats.

John Goacher, the practice’s lead vet, advised that if you think there is any chance that your pet has consumed the liquid then it is important to get them to a vet immediately.

He said: “If it’s even a remote possibility they need to be seen by a vet as soon as possible, even if it’s out of hours as we have an on call service.

“If it’s caught early there is a slim chance of a successful outcome. Otherwise usually by the time it’s diagnosed, the damage to the kidneys is too extensive to reverse and it’s fatal.”

Meanwhile police are aware of the ongoing problem and plan to investigate.

A spokesman for Police Scotland said: “Officers in Bonnybridge have been made aware of a report relating to a death of a dog at an address on Spence Street.

“Our enquiries into this matter are at an early stage as we seek to establish the full set of circumstances.”


4 thoughts on “Golden Retriever poisoned by antifreeze

  1. Poor Thor, such a tragic story! Will be sure to be vigilant with my two. If someone did this on purpose I hope they’re brought to justice.


  2. Disgusting behavior from whoever did this. Animal cruelty laws in this country need to be seriously heightened. I would like to see Police Scotland making it very clear to the public through a media campaign of what will happen to you if you break the law in regards to the treatment of animals.

    RIP Thor


  3. Great article and good advice


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s